Abbott Analytical Products
Project Main Page
This web page contains a set of links leading to the details of the project's major steps, an overview, a list of features, and a short list of gotchas.
Project Macro Steps/Phases
- Supplies and materials
- Hardware Preliminaries
- Check Ride
- Software Preparations
- System Integration
- Mechanical Ventilator Design
- System Operation
To save time and effort every attempt was made to "reuse" exisitng hardware and software from prior Arduino -Sloeber projects. As a result the reviewer may see extraneous unintended references to the xystepper and ultrasonic speed gun. These references as well as grammar/spelling issue will be resolved as the project matures.
Helpful comments and observations are appreciated.
Abbottanp "Chickadee Ventilator" Features
Oops. It Seems A Little Short
Below are the shortcomings of the Chickadee Ventilator Simulator Platform:
- As presented here this simulator platform is not a therapeutic device.
- The design evloved from non-medical engineers reading of interpertation the introduced references published on the projects index.html page. There has been little to no peer review or critique.
- The design is limited by the program memory of the controlling Arduino board.
- As implemented the design has significant power limitation.
- No attention was paid to potntial impact of Boyles Idea Gas Law on the simulator.
- This project was implemented with "lowcost" surplus steppers.
- Pressure gauges, insipration/expiration valves, leadsrcrew, saddle, and psiton head were not available in the exisitng project's inventory.
- The piston style inspiratory and expiratory may not be realistic.
- Arduino stacking headers and connecting pins faciliate assembly but may serve as quality/reliability issues.
- Precision in movement depends on coupling of the stepper shaft with linear and angular devices such as leadscrews and couplers.
- The available stppers proved to be marginaly able to conform to the minimum BPM requirement.
- Stepper's "STEPS_PER_INCH" needs confirmation by test/measurement.
- The difference between Ubuntu/Linux and Windows EOL, end-of-line, have not yet been tested with regard to parsing the contents of the dilni.ngc text file.
- This simulator prototype has no reduncancy built into it.
- Calibration has not been addressed for this prototype.
- There is no troubleshooting chart available for this prototype.
- Portions of the project's documentation is incomplete and/or untested.
NOTICE: This site was fabricated for best viewing using
Netscape 4.x, or a functionally
Please send comments or questions using e-mail, voice telephone at 919-846-7705. (Last update: May 20, 2020 tar)